SD2200d Smart Point

Well...a little aggravating to get the parts, but here it is. A SD2200d Smart Point receptacle modification. I use a GPX4000 and I want to swap out the boxes out when I want too and not the handle grip/fiberglass shaft as well. Field test tomorrow. Guido

post-21178-1244951807_thumb.jpg

post-21178-1244951818_thumb.jpg

post-21178-1244951828_thumb.jpg

Hey Guido,

Nice mod you done there on the SD2200. Did you get the parts from Minelab or somewhere else such as Radio Shack?

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

I did my best to find a (smart point) receptacle on the net...Closest nomenclature I could get to is 3 pin male power panel connector (XLR). There were some close models, most from China, but you had to buy of 100 at a time even if you could get a match. Some single parts; but not an exact match. Scale is kind of hard to determine with just a picture. They also have offset hole at the corners as well for screws. Ebay was very close. Tried to find a defunct GP unit for parts...none available. I gave up and had to drive to Minelab for the part. A power box at my work has the very same smart point type receptacle in it as well, so there has to be someone who makes them, not just proprietary Minelab. If anyone here know where else to get them please chime in! It's a worth wild investment...Swapping out the control boxes keeps the gear down to a minimum...Guido

Good looking job!

What would you charge to do my GP3000? I love that factory look!

nvchris

Hey Chris...hows it going up there? I do not have another smart point available at this time...If anyone here can provide more smart points other than Minelab that would be great. I don't think Minelab would give more of them away, but I can always ask them the question next week of where they get them from. I tried the detector out at Nelson Nevada near Eldorado...not really a good place to test. Never found anything over there. Doc was right... slim pickings...Quartz Monzonite... I was getting EMI...I think its the power towers coming from the Dam... But it has mineralized soil to test the detector out! I want to go to Gold Basin, but ran out of time. Guido

This is for you tinkerers out there. After obtaining a Smart Point, yes a small photo jack can do the same, but I want something dust proof and can use Minelab's existing equipment as well. After drilling and mounting of Smart Point solder two wires and give yourself plenty of length and trim only when you are about to connect to the round terminals. Pre-cut small heat shrink for the Smart point side wires that have been soldered into place and for the terminal ends use two Telecom Connectors (19-26 AWG Connector Moisture Resist) from Frys or http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d484.html for $3.00 dollars...splice into both orange/white wires. Remember the Balance Mode has to be in FIXED for this to work. After splicing is complete use an Ohm meter and look at second picture of the switch itself and ohm out the switch with two small boots (raise boots up) on it and you should get no audible signal...if you got that kind of Ohm meter...if not you will get no meter reading. Now holding the Ohm meter leads on the two terminal under the insulation boots squeeze the ground balancing button on the handle on the shaft as the smart point is connected to the control box and you should get a signal! If so everything is working fine! Switching to tracking on Balance Mode and you will get the same results...an audible signal. Do a five second ground balance and it off to the races! PLEASE be careful with this kind of mod...It is strait forward but nerve racking if you don't do this kind of work. ...Guido

post-21178-1245043181_thumb.jpg

post-21178-1245521932_thumb.jpg

Hey , Thanks Guido.

I just used the Gold Button product for mine. Mine being the 2200v2, I had to get a straight upper shaft from Rob so I could adapt to a regular handle. The product has worked simply flawless ever since, and I would recommend it to anyone that is thinking about it.

Hey , Thanks Guido.

I just used the Gold Button product for mine. Mine being the 2200v2, I had to get a straight upper shaft from Rob so I could adapt to a regular handle. The product has worked simply flawless ever since, and I would recommend it to anyone that is thinking about it.

Hello Adam...Glad you like the setup...I think it's pretty neat to use a such a feature on a prior model. I keep either control box SD2200d or GPX4000 in a backup David Clark headset bag in the picture included...which happens to be a PERFECT fit for either control box/signal processor and is rather inexpensive to buy and provides good padded protection website http://www.davidclark.com/store/ProductDet...spx?productID=4 Got it pretty fast too... Gave Minelab a call and they gave me a good lead on where to buy the Smart Points here in Vegas...I hope to find out tomorrow if I can track them down. Guido...

post-21178-1245126476_thumb.jpg

post-21178-1245126491_thumb.jpg

Hey Guido,

Rain and thunderstorms daily for the last 2 weeks. Ground is soaked and just a short cloudburst causes instant runoff.

I like the idea of "control box interchange". Let me know if you find a smart port supply.

nvchris

poor penny must be getting quite jealous!

Hey Guido,

Rain and thunderstorms daily for the last 2 weeks. Ground is soaked and just a short cloudburst causes instant runoff.

I like the idea of "control box interchange". Let me know if you find a smart port supply.

nvchris

poor penny must be getting quite jealous!

Hello Nvchris...Man it was a challenge, but I did get the information on the smart point plugs! I have ordered 10 of them and they are coming from overseas...10 was all they had available...ETA unknown...At the mercy of the British...I will be able to help others in this endeavor if they wish so. Yes...Penny is really getting mad now! Guido!

post-21178-1245207882_thumb.jpg

post-21178-12659966509_thumb.jpg