Garrett Pro PinPointer or the Detector Pro Pistol Probe?

Which one would you choose?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you choose?

• Garrett Pro PinPointer
    • Detector Pro Pistol Probe

Another quick question, which one would you guys go with?

Garrett Pro PinPointer or the Detector Pro Pistol Probe?

On the site below, the guy said the Garrett is nice because the beats increase until you are about 1/2" away which is called gradient target acquisition, but does not goes as deep as the Pistol Probe. The downside of the pistol probe is it does not have gradient audio like the Garrett as as you close in on the target, but it goes much deeper then the Garrett. So it's basically a trade off I guess.

http://www.bigvalleymetaldetectors.com/bestpin.htm

Which one would you guys go with or use? The youtube video below did a good job of showing you the differences, and the guy ended up going with the Pistol Probe because it went much deeper. I wonder why they didn't add gradient target acquisition to the unit as that seems like it really helps out.

• Admin

Hey Giga,

I've used both the DetectorPro Pistol Probe and the Falcon. I like the DetectorPro model much better. Many of the other probes pick up interference from the Minelab PI's, the DetectorPro Pistol Probe seems to be more immune and gets better depth. I sell a bunch of the Pistol Probes .... DetectorPro is top notch in my opinion along with their Black Widow Headphones.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

large.jpg

I really do like the Garret Pro Pointer. I've had a few people tell me that the Pistol Probe is slightly more sensitive by comparison but that this can actually be a disadvantage due to the response to the minerals in small stones etc. and a response to the detector's EMF. The Garret Pro Pointer is self calibrating, Vibrates AND beeps at different speeds to different target sizes and proximity and uses a very robust method of securing the batteries in a water-sealed housing. I've dropped mine onto concrete and solid rock several times from shoulder-height and it was completely unaffected. Tough build!

Sounds like either probe will do the job. My preference based on ease-of-use and practical field strength is the Pro Pointer.

According to Lost Treasure Oline, The DetectorPro is a pulse detection model & the Garrett is a VLF type that operates at 12 kHz for what it is worth. That review was favorable to both. According to it, the DetectorPro had slightly better depth but cost more.

• Admin

Hey Carolina,

Great point about the DetectorPro being a PI. I didn't even think to make that a point. I really like the DetectorPro Pistol Probe. I know it goes deeper than the Falcon, but never used the Garrett. Guessing since the PI's go deeper, the PI Pinpointer would also go deeper than the VLF Garrett.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Carolina,

Great point about the DetectorPro being a PI. I didn't even think to make that a point. I really like the DetectorPro Pistol Probe. I know it goes deeper than the Falcon, but never used the Garrett. Guessing since the PI's go deeper, the PI Pinpointer would also go deeper than the VLF Garrett.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Carolina,

Take care,

Rob Allison

• 3 months later...

Rob, have you had a chance to see if the Detector Pro unit will detect the really small gold ie. smaller than .1 gram? I'm also looking for a hand-held unit and the Pistol unit videos look great for coins/relics...nothing has been discussed about it's performance on gold! :unsure:

Bill

Rob, have you had a chance to see if the Detector Pro unit will detect the really small gold ie. smaller than .1 gram? I'm also looking for a hand-held unit and the Pistol unit videos look great for coins/relics...nothing has been discussed about it's performance on gold! :unsure:

Bill