The wait is over. Doc's Licorice Stick Carbon Fiber

The Wait is Over. It took me over 6 months to design a lower rod for the Pulse Induction machines. Coils are getting bigger, and yet the choices for lower rods have been slim.

Introducing Doc's Heavy Duty Lower coil rods.

If you are like me, you like to have each of your coils on it's own rod. But who can afford that when the stock 24 inch long rod costs so much, and it doesn't even come with washers or a nut and bolt. The extra long Otto Rod (27 inches) that we were importing from Australia had become so expensive that we had to retail them for $68, and guys were buying them at that ridiculous price because there was no where else to get a heavy duty longer rod.

I set out to design a rod that I felt should incorporate all the features and benefits a rod should have today to support the new coils that are being developed. With the combined buying power of Doc's Detecting Supply and Coiltek Manufacturing in Australia, we were able to purchase 10,000 rods and get the price so low, you won't believe it.

rodbox.jpg

1. Because coils are bigger these day, have you seen the Gold Stalker 14 X 24, or how about that Nugget Finder 6 X 30 inch coil? That stock 24 inch long rod just seems to be getting shorter all the time. Doc's NEW standard lower rod is 28 inches long! And it doesn't cost $47, or $68! Oh, and get this, we also have the rods in a 32 inch length and a 40 inch. I think the 40 inch length is for people who are trying to get away from detecting. :rolleyes: Actually we have a lot of guys who have titanium knees who really need to get that coil out and away from them.

2. I designed the head with larger washers, that means more surface area to grip and hold larger coils securely.

head.jpg

3. Special reinforced head that has a small solid fiberglass rod glued inside of the sleeve to add extra strength and disperse the side to side motion higher up the rod to relieve stress on the head.

solid.jpg

4. The head is fiberglass reinforced nylon, it is nearly indestructible, it is glued on and riveted to the rod with a plastic pin, it will never fall off.

pinned.jpg

5. We use a plastic button to lock the rod into place in the upper rod, not a metal one.

Our Price, standard 28 inch rod with washers and bolt and wing nut $28, 32 inch rod $32, 40 inch rod $35

BUT WAIT, I'm not through. I also designed the lightest, sturdiest, prettiest Carbon Fiber upper rod you have ever seen, 34 inches long with 7 adjustment holes.

cfbox.jpg

And it doesn't cost $159 like the fiberglass rods that I use to import from Australia. I sold literally hundreds of those $159 upper rods. But Doc's NEW CARBON Fiber upper rod doesn't cost $159, $125. or $100. Because of the immense buying power of Doc's Detecting Supply, and COILTEK MANUFACTURING, we are able to offer you this amazing lite weight marvel for $74.

cam.jpg

But WAIT, that's not all...

...as Billy Mays would have said.

Buy 4 stock rods, at $28 each, and 1 upper carbon fiber rod for $74, that would total out to; $186. But if I have learned one thing from being in this business, it is that our customers are our best sales people. And the way to introduce a new product to the market is to get it into the field in the hands of experienced detectorists, who are proud to show their fellow detectorists new and exciting products. SO, in order to kick these new products off in a big way we are going to offer you the above Professional Prospector Rod package of 4 heavy duty 28 inch lower rods, and 1 Heavy Duty, super light weight Carbon Fiber upper rod, not for $186, but for only $150. plus s&h

package.jpg

I apologize for the pictures, I took them with my I-Phone. I just was excited for you guys to see these.

CALL ROB and get your order in NOW!

Doc an Rob , I feel compelled to reply to this post as soon as I came to read it.

I am amazed at the initial promotional offering you have made.

The integrity of construction looks great.

The price should get many of these into users hands / I am going to be 1 of the 1sts. I like the added inches to the lower rod. And the design at the coil end looks more ridged to help with less falsing and better swing control.

I say "Your'e a good man Charlie Brown" :D for comming up with this design and making it available at a "reasonable" price to us enthusiasts.

Gosh there is always a trouble maker in every group! :rolleyes:

Actually, I would be happy to put a package together just for you guys that includes 2 - 28 inch long rods, 1 - 32, and 1 - 40 with the upper carbon fiber rod, for the same price.

I just need to order some 40 inch long boxes.

Doc

Looks really great but I would like to see a package that includes two 28' one 32' and one 40' lower shafts. What would that cost?

Actually when Herb came out with his, we were already having the die made for the proper diameter carbon fiber rod made with our manufacturing facility. I thought to myself, all minds must think alike.

The rod had to be made, in a special diameter with a special wall thickness. We couldn't find any stock rod in the proper diameter. Carbon fiber is the only material available if you want to match the wall thickness of the standard stock metal rod. Fiberglass won't work it is too thin and not strong enough.

This was whole project a giant undertaking because I drew this up with a CAD program, and the lower rod head gave us fits.

I think there were different samples that were sent over here that I had to send back to be tweaked. The biggest thing was getting the recessed area of the head just the right depth, and the washers just the right thickness so the extended just enough to give a tight fit inside the ears of the coil. That held up the whole process.

Then there were wire transfers of more money than I want to talk about. Money for dies, money for raw product, money for manufacturing, money for ocean shipping. It was too costly to ship all of these rods by air.

I was the first person to introduce a non-metallic upper rod to the United States market and they have always been a big seller. But it got to the point that the suppliers were getting greedy. When you have to sell an upper rod for $159 and your profit is $10 something is wrong.

There is only one way to get the price down on merchandise, you have to manufacture it yourself, or hire someone to manufacture it, and you have to make a lot of them all at one time.

The other thing that prompted me to do this is over a year ago we were having trouble getting rods. I waited 5 months to get 40 lower rods I had ordered.

Take care!

Doc

My initial plans were to try to make the lower rods out of carbon fiber as well, like Minelab does with their Explorer lower rods. However, when I talked to Jonathan Porter about it he advised against it. He stated that having that much carbon fiber down close to the coil might cause interference problems.

I have swung over these upper rods with a detector, and I don't hear anything, but I think we all know what burned debris sounds like in the ground. And that of course charcoal is concentrated carbon. Also the price of carbon fiber lower rods would have be prohibitive.

Doc

Gosh there is always a trouble maker in every group! :rolleyes:

Actually, I would be happy to put a package together just for you guys that includes 2 - 28 inch long rods, 1 - 32, and 1 - 40 with the upper carbon fiber rod, for the same price.

I just need to order some 40 inch long boxes.

Doc

Sold - I'll call Mr. Rob - thanks DOC

I had two choices.

Order them from a company here, who would have them made overseas for twice the price, or I could have them made overseas myself and charge what I am charging now.

These are made by the same company that I have been using for 10 years to produce the molded parts for my Swingy Thingy.

They are all made overseas out of the finest materials to my precise specifications. It's impossible to offer items at a reasonable price today unless you are outsourcing to overseas companies, just ask Minelab. Anyone bothered to look at the box to see where their Minelab GPX5000 is being made?

Take care!

Doc

Hi Doc

One question. Are these made in the USA or over seas?

Thanks

CH

Anyone bothered to look at the box to see where their Minelab GPX5000 is being made?

Take care!

Doc

Yea and it was a burn :angry:

But Doc's is American, Rob's is American. We all live in the modern world sure, but support what local guys you can. I just hope more money is staying in the U.S. then leaving.....

Great looking product. It's always cool to see an idea put into production by an independent guy and it turns out great for a great price.

This is just sad though... I guess that's why I talk to someone I can hardly understand with canned responses in India or the Philippines when I have questions about my cell phone bill...

These are made by the same company that I have been using for 10 years to produce the molded parts for my Swingy Thingy.

It's impossible to offer items at a reasonable price today unless you are outsourcing to overseas companies...

Hi Doc

Just wanted to clarify the USA stamp under your company name does not mean the product was made here. Oh FYI with out going in a lot engineering discussions, by the way carbon fiber is a dimagnetic material, which means it has signal when subjected to a magnetic pulse. It will not produce eddy current fields. Carbon Fiber is made from graphite, which is used inside the coil to sheild the coils from EMI.

Now for the product. Will these lower rods fit Herbs CF upper? I already have one of his CF upper shafts. The Otto shafts fit it fine. Should I order from you or Rob?

Thanks

CH

Ordered my set today should have it delivered soon. I'll let you boys know how they look "close up".

I'm excited to be able to get my coils a bit further away from my feet than the stock rod allows. Especially my Uncle Marvin's Mothership !!!

Burned my shoes a couple times with the blast from the engines :rolleyes::blink:

post-417-0-42607500-1303436244_thumb.jpg

Hi Doc,

Just wondering whether you will send these packages to Australia, and if so, what would be the cost, and could us Aussies pay by PayPal ?

They are a great looking product at a good price, and I for one, would like to be able to buy them !

Cheers,

Rick in Australia

If you saw the opposite side of the head it says COILTEK MANUFACTURING Australia. Because we went together to increase the size of the order to lower the price we double branded it. But I could see where the Doc's Detecting USA might be confusing unless you saw the opposite side which said COILTEK MANUFACTURING Australia.

The lower rods will work inside of any Minelab upper rod or any Minelab compatible upper rod. They were made to be Minelab compatible.

Thanks for the explanation, I know just enough about electronics to attempt to do things that will electrocute me.

Please order from Rob, or you can order from me and just tell me you saw it on Rob's forum, and I will drop ship it to you but give Rob your credit card information and he will bill you.

Doc

Hi Doc

Just wanted to clarify the USA stamp under your company name does not mean the product was made here. Oh FYI with out going in a lot engineering discussions, by the way carbon fiber is a dimagnetic material, which means it has signal when subjected to a magnetic pulse. It will not produce eddy current fields. Carbon Fiber is made from graphite, which is used inside the coil to sheild the coils from EMI.

Now for the product. Will these lower rods fit Herbs CF upper? I already have one of his CF upper shafts. The Otto shafts fit it fine. Should I order from you or Rob?

Thanks

CH

Coiltek Manufacturing has them in Australia, last I heard they had arrived there and they should be clearing customs. I don't know what their pricing structure will be.

Doc

Hi Doc,

Just wondering whether you will send these packages to Australia, and if so, what would be the cost, and could us Aussies pay by PayPal ?

They are a great looking product at a good price, and I for one, would like to be able to buy them !

Cheers,

Rick in Australia

HOLY COW! That was fast service.! I ordered one of Doc's new Licorice Stick 40" lower rods from Rob late Friday and it got here first thing Monday AM... Taking it out this afternoon ... I'm thinking it's going to let me cover a huge amount of turf ... each swing with my 17" E coil will cover some 16 square feet with the rod fully extended! I measured it ... When terrain allows, that's like 160 SF/minute ... Thanks Doc and Rob ...By the way, Doc, that's a cool little nugget stash ... Cheers, Unc

Archived