Located Javelina Den while metal detecting

• Admin

Hello All,

Today while out exploring a new area I ran into a Javelina Den. Actually while I was hunting up this small drainage 3-4 large Javelina shot out of this Den and ran towards me down the wash. They scared the living crap out of me. I thought they were all gone, so I continued to walk by the Den and noticed another one sleeping. I tried my best to get him on video, but I must have spooked him as you can see him dart out of the Den up the wash.

Javelina can be dangerous if cornered, so be careful out there!

Hope you enjoyed.

Rob Allison

Rob!....Thats too funny....At least you got the little guy on camera. I had about 3000 of them...ok...maybe it was more like 6-8 of them jump me when I rounded a bend in a wash when I was on the quad about 2 months ago. Bar Jebbers..they scared the crap out of me and I scared it out of them!!! Dang rodents jumping all over! For some reason the felt like they had to get past me instead of heading up the wash.

Thats cool you got the last one hightailing it out of there.

Got to give it to you..................its stinking HOT out there and your out there swinging. :)

Its not really 120 in the wash...its more like 130!

Taker easy....dont sweat to much.

Tom H.

• Admin

Hello Tom,

Sometime ago I was hunting in the Bradshaw Mountains alone in this small wash. There was a section where the brush and trees pinched way down, so I basically had to crawl through it. Stupid me, I was crawling with my headphones pretty much on, so I didn't hear what I should have. About half way through the brush a small group of Javelina shot down the wash right at me. One of them smacked into my leg as it was heading down the wash and sliced my pant leg. The Javelina's tusk just grazed my pant leg, right above my snake gaitors. If the Javelina was any closer it might have sliced the side of my leg open and I would have been in real trouble. I was a good mile from the vehicle ....

Be careful out there. Thanks for viewing the video.

Rob Allison

Rob your post reminded me of this, As I understand it javelina dont see real well but anyway,

I've had a few encounters with them as I'm sure you have too. When they make their mind up which way there going, there going!.

I was up in the Prescott area doing some undergound work for some friends.

I was in about 200' and all of a sudden I have two of them javelina's bolt before I even saw them.

I didn't know what it was. GEESH what a rush!

I think I wanted out of that mine shaft more than they did, but the dang javelina out run me to the entrance.

Ya gotta laugh when you think back about some old adentures.

Take care out there, AzNuggetBob

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hey Flak,

Ya, one of those days where you have about a 1/2 and you just want to do something. I loaded the truck and trailer and took off into the hills with the quad. It was just an exploration type run, but stumbled onto these Javelina and some old mining camps along the way.

Thanks for watching the video.

Rob Allison